Sunday 5 January 2014

Localism is about empowering our Communities

I was so excited when Mr.Cameron and his government talked about 'Big Society' and 'Localism', at last a government who could see the importance of communities and the need to empower the people who live in them. I'm not sure though Government initiatives are helping this to happen, but I still remain a believer that if we want things to happen it needs to be lead from a community and to meet the needs of that community.

So why my doubts? We've moved into a modern estate that lacks the community spirit, although we do our bit in trying to get the togetherness feeling. For instance on our walks with our dogs we always try to smile or say hello, very many people keep their heads down and perhaps think strange people don't reply! So I also felt perhaps I better try harder to get involved, I joined the Parish Council; I'm wondering now why we have these, they ought to be about empowering the local people, but no one really seems to listen, (the Vicar of Dibley Sketches spring to mind). We are asked a lot about our planning thoughts, but these are over ridden and we are invited to attend District Council Locality Meetings, so our voice can be heard, so why can't it be heard through the Parish Council? No not impressed with whether I can help my community through the Parish Council, I plan to do it until the elections in May and then slip away, as I'm not convinced localism is helped through this process. I've now become the secretary of the Resident's Association, however this seems to me to be another non starter, although this isn't helped by the lack of community meeting place.

So how do we get this localism or big society into gear? I wonder if in the future it needs to be tied up in the planning regulations?

When we brought our house we were promised a community and all we got was broken promises, bad parking and the builders ability to over-ride community need and continue to build more houses without better infra-structure or community facilities.

So I propose that the funds builders have to pay for Community infra structure or facilities is be put into the hands of the community itself, not the Council (much of our 106 Funding has disappeared into the ether and yes we can have little back for a community centre, but only if we find ways to make it pay!) Where is our promised vibrant village centre, shops, cafes, a pub, church, doctors surgery, etc?

We don't need continuous consultation that I'm sure is not listened too, we want to be part of the decision making that will help communities grow together, develop initiatives together and for my part care for each other, I call this putting the 'C' back into Communities.

So Mr Cameron, if you read this blog (wishful thinking perhaps), if you are intent on the Localism agenda and creating the 'Big Society' I'm up for helping, but let us have mechanisms that really empower communities and that help create opportunities for development and meet the needs of local people, not just processes that turn people off.

No comments:

Post a Comment